Qualified Instructor Required Prerequisite: Intermediate Swimming Honor
1. Satisfy the examiner that you have knowledge of different types of kayaks (Slalom, river, touring, sea); the uses for each and the equipment necessary for safe kayaking (helmet, life jacket, sprayskirt, bow and stern loops, floatation in kayak).
2. Demonstrate an ability to enter and exit a kayak.
- From a beach
- From a pier or landing
- From deep water
3. Demonstrate ability to complete the following strokes:
- Straight forward and backward paddle
- Left and right turn by forward and back paddling
- Draw (sweep) stroke
- Support stroke
- Cross current paddling
4. Explain the steps involved in Eskimo rolling and demonstrate the proper method of doing this.
5. Explain how to repair a hole in fiberglass
- Permanently in a workshop (fiberglassing)
- Emergency repair on the riverbank (duct tape)
6. After completing a minimum of 2 training sessions complete either
- An overnight kayak trip
- Two day trips (one including some white water)